How to avoid the backlash over Donald Trump’s proposed African restaurant in New York
N.Y.C. restaurants have been under fire for weeks over plans to open an African restaurant that the Trump administration has described as a “hot spot for crime and drug dealers.”
Now, some are facing backlash from customers who say they are boycotting the restaurant after they learned the location is in fact owned by Trump’s daughter.
The restaurant’s location at 880 West 42nd Street is a popular spot for African-Americans who go to the restaurant for a meal, and some African-American activists have been boycotting its opening.
“We have been very vocal about our concerns about the location and the ownership of the business, and we are continuing to work on that, and the city has been very supportive of our efforts,” said N.J. State Assemblywoman Maria Torres, a Democrat from Middlesex County.
“I just think the fact that the restaurant has been identified as the location of the Trump family and their businesses is really concerning.
There’s a lot of concern in this community that there’s a connection.”
But Torres is not the only one who has been making her feelings known.
“I just feel that this has gone way beyond what we should be concerned about,” said Elizabeth Fennelly, a former New Jersey State Assembly speaker who lives in Brooklyn.
“The idea that a business that is supposed to serve people of all races and ethnicities is now being criticized for opening at a place where there is so much crime and drugs, that’s a really, really big concern.”
Torres said she and other community members have been calling the restaurant, and that the owner has agreed to a meeting to discuss the issue.
But that’s not stopping a group of New Yorkers who have taken to social media to voice their disapproval.
“The owner of the establishment is a Trump family member.
That’s how it is,” one post said.
“If this is what you think it’s about, I am going to boycott it.”
Another said, “No, I will not be going to this place.”
“I don’t want to hear any excuses, but I don’t think we should support a business based on race or ethnicity,” said one person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity out of fear of backlash.
A spokesman for the Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
In a statement, the Trump Organization said, ”This is a business decision that we are committed to and we look forward to the opportunity to have this conversation with the community about the business and its ownership.
“The restaurant was purchased by the Trump brothers, who are from Queens, in April and opened in June of last year.
The Trumps did not respond to multiple requests for comment on Thursday.
Torres is also the former speaker of the New Jersey Assembly.